Sir Thomas Spert was the first Master of Trinity House. Born in the late 15th century (date unknown), he had probably died by 1555. Spert Island off the coast of Antarctica is named for him. As a mariner in the service of Henry VII, Thomas Spert carried dispatches between England and Spain. He served, evidently with credit, in the navy during the war of 1512-14. In 1512-15 he was master of the Mary Rose, one of the most important fighting ships in the fleet.
Join Our Newsletter
- 3,316,630 all-time readers
- Growing Your Small Business the Right Way November 16, 2019
- 11 Amazing Examples of Disruptive Technology
- Grant Cardone Shares His Principles for Life & Success (Exclusive Interview)
- What Is Social Marketing? And How Does It Work?
- Workplace Culture: How to Encourage Collaboration
- 17 Great Examples of Effective Leadership and Strategy
- The Distinction Between Leadership and Supervision
- 6 Key Attitudes and Behaviors of Successful Leaders
- 43 of Britain's Oldest Companies, From Rolls-Royce to Burberry, Still in Business After 100-Years
- Women Leaders Top 250: From Angela Merkel to Oprah Winfrey, These Are the Most Influential Women in the World